Saturday, April 25, 2009

Everybodys making it big but me.

I know how that feels.

Making it in anything be it fashion,music,art - seems to be a bit of a struggle. I often wonder how one makes it big? As a illustrator and graphic designer, I know first hand that getting out there and becoming recognised is somewhat difficult. But I wonder how much more difficult it is for bands! It's really sad to think that there is so much talent out there going unnoticed.

Triple J unearthed do their best to uncover new bands, but some still slip through the cracks. Coming from a smaller town, I see the struggle of artists trying to make it, having no real support behind them. Local band the Truants have managed to get some exposure, you may have read an article in JJJ Mag about them. There are so many contributing factors, like limited funds, having to work jobs not being able to focus ultimately on the music. I really respect artists who have passion and drive and are sticking to it.
You can hear some of their stuff here.
The Truants
This band supported the gig for little scout and josh pyke on the weekend. Let me just take the time to tell you how unbelievable the Josh Pyke gig was. It was intimate, he was fantastic, playing almost everything I had hoped for. My friend and I sat back on our cushions, but not for long as we were soon dancing along to every one of his songs from make you happy to private education. I was lost in his music, in my own little frame of mind. It was really special, and a night I won't forget any time soon.


The Middle East
were doing sound at this event, and let me tell you this is a band to watch. Being announced to play splendour in the grass 09, this group are doing particularly well for themselves. I really encourage you to check out their stuff, I am lost for words of how to describe them. 'Blood' in particular is beautiful. So do yourself a favour and check them out.

While I'm here I may as well plug these other bands I have discovered along the way. I love discovering new music, especially music that I don't hear on commercial radio that is played 5million times a day. Yes I am one of those angsty commercial radio haters. hehe I'm not really angsty, just have a real passion for real music.

Ryan Giles

The Novocaines

Little Scout
How cute are these guys, their music is so sweet, and the bits with the tinkering of the xylophone always puts a smile on my face. Relatively new to me, it was really lovely to see them live in the weekend.

Click and listen for sweet things to fill your ears.
Go make a bands day, check them out and leave comments for them, or request them on jjj. I think a little goes a long way.

Well this has been a marathon post, but lately I have been thinking about the music industry and everything related.

If you have any bands you would like to suggest to me, I would love that!

Until my next blog,
Tilli with an 'i'



No comments: